26 December 2009

X-mas meals

And here is most of my meals for X-mas eve and day, I thought I'd share them because even for me, it was a different kind of X-mas meal than I'm used to at my home town. In Portugal there are variations of what should go to the table according to the region: some cook turkey, some lamb, salted codfish, cow meat marinated in whine and garlic, and so on... This was my grandparents' version:




There were some home-made olives, salad, cooked shrimp, whine and the seafood soup at the center
- For x-mas eve, we had seafood soup, salted codfish cooked and then baked with mashed potatoes and a few more treats on an extra table (because the dinner table was just too small (or full?:D)




The seafood soup
I forgot to take a picture at the codfish and mashed potatoes at the beggining, but I still wanted to show you (If I could I'd get you to taste a bit, it was really good) This is what was left when I remembered:


And this was the worse part, or the best:




"The extra table"

Back row: a sweet my grandma made out of almonds and sweet potato, dark dry figs, almonds and raisins, white figs.
Bottles: 2 different home-made liquors, one out of goat milk and the other one out of figs.

Front row: 2 types of olives, bolo-rei and pumpkin puffs. I couldn't find a better translation for the puffs but in portuguese it's called "filhoses".


By X-mas morning the puffs were gone and for lunch we had roasted chicken with potatoes:




We could only eat one for lunch (5 people)
I took this one just for reminding myself how I should roast mine:


This next week I'll have soups and very little or preferably no sugar and minimum amounts of food so I can burn the weekend's.

No comments:

Post a Comment